Monday, June 16, 2008

Too old for computer games?

I wouldn't rate myself as an addict but I do have some deep affinity towards computer games. Whether I get a chance to play them or not, I never fail to buy the new releases of FIFA, NFS or Cricket when they get released. Apart from that I have a deep desire to play WWE games. But their scarcity in the PC titles have made me buy the same edition of RAW modded by different people 3-4 times and each time I had to repent on wasting money over them. Playing Smackdown Vs Raw is one of the strongest reason why I wish to own a PSP or a PS2 some day.

I also collect first-player shooter or different movie-based games from time to time. The growing system requirements of the new releases has kept me shunned from playing them for a while. Still I was happy as I could play my most favorite titles FIFA and NFS with my Intel 945 built-in graphics chipset. But recently the water has grown over my heads when I discovered that Pro-Evolution Soccer, NFS Carbon and NFS Pro-Street are failing to run on my PC. Borrowing some money from my Dad I finally bought an nVidia GeForce MX 7200 graphics card. Being a football enthusiast I also bought a dual-shock usb joystick to perform the cool dribbles.

Graphics in my PC changed like night and day. I was so eager to experiment with newer titles that I tried Driver4 - Parallel Lines, Brian Lara International Cricket 2007, Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb all in one fine weekend (last Saturday, 14th June to be precise).

After 2-3 hours of gameplay, I felt the world was spinning. I was having trouble standing still. My eyes were trying to roll to the back of my head. I guess I broke my optical system tolerance by a fair margin moving with Indy in the ancient runes and handling the steering for the frivolous youth in Driver 4. I don't know why, but I felt my eyes couldn't match themselves with the high res 3D world of now-a-days. Don't take me as a relic, once upon a time I spent frequent sleepless nights playing Max Payne or Delta Force. But 3-4 years of graphical revolution and 8+ hours of computer work everyday took its toll over me. The next day I confided in my situation with my friend and colleague Imam who used to be a game freak once upon a time. He told me that he's also had a similar experience after gaming overnight a couple of months earlier.

I guess my 3500 tk investment on graphics card and joystick has gone to dogs. I may still have the same enthusiasm but my aging(!) body doesn't like taking this type of stress any more. Suffering from this unfortunate situation, I'm thinking of going back to my safest titles FIFA and NFS again. But the CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome) disease on my hands is also creating problems against using the keyboard with so much pressure. I guess I have to keep myself restraint from playing too much till I master the joystick. I have also grown doubtful against buying a PSP because of this situation. I feel like getting too old too soon... sigh. Is the age of 26 really too late to enjoy computer games?

No comments: